torsdag 4 februari 2010

The chainsaw is my friend

We had our second day of chainsaw training yesterday. We had the first lesson the day before yesterday were we got to take the chainsaw apart and learn how to clean it thoroughly, replace the string you pull to start it and other such fun things. I love that stuff! I'm hardly a mech-head in any way, but to get to tend the inner workings and make sure it is all whole and feeling peachy makes me all warm and fussy inside... Can you have maternal instincts for a machine?


Anyway, so today we got to go out into the woods. I made sure I got the same saw I tended to yesterday and after some briefing in the snow we filled the tanks up and got started. My little darling was a bit grumpy and didn't want to start at first, but when he got going... Well... he wasn't shy I can tell ya...


It was kind of scary to work with it though. Not that I held it at arms length between my thumb and index finger, but I don't like it when I know stuff perfectly in theory and then not have it work at all when I try actually doing it. But we have awesome teachers with looooaaaads of patience and with a little help I got it right and then passed the practical part for "chainsaw driver's licence A" with flying colours. =D


Today... well, my arms are falling off... besides that it was a pretty slow going day at school and when I got home we watched Avatar... at the movies... just let's say we went to the movies... It was ok, I guess... The animations were off the chart, so incredibly beautiful! And the story was as well, but I won't watch it again. My dearest had to hold me from throwing stuff at the tv and it's probably not healthy getting completely pissed off at fictional people when there are enough real ones you can waste your energy on.


Today's green notes:

Tending to buildings and tending to green areas require completely different skills... For some reason people who hire janitors don't get that... So they get someone who might be awesome at fixing the plumbing to tend to the green areas around the house as well. Because that's a really brilliant idea. You would never do it the other way around. Who hires an arborist to fix their toilet?

Did you know that on most (Swedish) cemeteries, especially the smaller ones, they calculate what areas are covered with grass, gravel and so on and then estimate what time will have to be used to tend to these areas? These calculations do not include trees, bushes and perennial plants... because they magically tend to themselves apparently. So you might want to be weary of the trees when you go visit your dearly departed... It's quite likely they will be tended by either people who have no idea what they're doing, or people who're not given the time to do what needs to be done.

Lastly... just because you own a chainsaw does NOT give you the credentials to properly prune and cut back trees.



The picture is taken by Zofia ( http://inspirea.blog.se/ ) and the full rights go to her and her wonderful inspirational blog about a gardening. This is a perfect example of people who should not be allowed near trees with anything sharp. That tree -might- spurt a bunch of panic sprouts that'll make the ends look like brooms and then it will most likely be infested with mold and fungus, rot and die and then finally fall down and smash something. Trees that have been treated like that makes me cry.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar